Sunday 30 January 2011

What leads to success?

Everyone wants to be successful. But, have you ever wondered what it is the leads to success?
Watch this enthusiastic and funny speech.



Are you agree with the speaker?
Do you think his 8 points are the way to get successful?



This video raises some doubts:
-Are people born with some innate talent or can they be developed by practising?
-The speaker thinks that passion is an important factor for success. But is there a method to help people find their greatest passion?
-And what if you are not good enough no matter how hard you try?
-He doesn’t mention luck. But is luck, one thing that you can't really control, important to success?
-He spent ten years researching success and asking over 500 successful people in many fields what helped them succeed. But won't be interesting to ask other 500 unsuccessful people about their failure?

Any way, great talk. I hope the speaker's enthusiasm will inspire you.

If you want to carry on listening and reading about this topic go to:
Better at English

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mercedes!
    Thank you for posting this week's lesson!
    It's a great clip, isn't it? I've seen it before, but I'm going to take time today to look at it again and answer your questions - I promise!
    Speak soon,
    Ceri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again, Mercedes, I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to come back. I've been away for work and somehow I just didn't find the time.

    You ask so many interesting questions, it's really hard to know where to start!

    The first question for me I think is "what is success?" There are so many different kinds! I guess it's usually a kind of public success, being known for being good at something. But there are all kinds of personal, private successes too. And momentary successes, little flashes of happiness and inspiration!

    I think being a parent is like that, for example. I don't think there is such a thing as "success" in being a parent, parenthood just is! But there are moments, very sweet moments, when you think something went right, when you feel you're doing well. I love those moments.

    And I think that as a teacher too, it's very much the same - moments when you feel you've done something well, helped someone else succeed in something. And that's what keeps us going, that's what inspires us, possibly? Being there to share someone else's success? I think for me sharing and working together are what inspire me - and give me a feeling of satisfaction - and success.

    Mmm .. that was a long answer! And I'm not really sure I've said much at all!

    It's my turn to post a lesson - it'll be up on the blog by the end of the day!

    Speak to you all soon,
    Ceri

    ReplyDelete